Sunday, November 15, 2009

Blackhawk Up

I worked one day of our vacation this week, so that I could take advantage of an opportunity to ride on a Blackhawk helicopter. There is a great JROTC program at the high school I work at and every year they take the JROTC students up in the helicopter. Faculty members have begged, cajoled, and bribed, but never been approved to go. This year, the army said yes! I didn't pause before replying to the e-mail to get on the list to go.Here we are boarding. I wasn't concerned during the safety briefing until there was mention of the blades' ability to slice you in two.Not my best picture, but it's the only one of me in the helicopter. We were safe as the school's police officer happened to be on my flight. ;)It was pretty cool to see the school from above, but after we passed it, I wasn't sure of where we were. Not so good with directions! I think we went north of the school and circled back around.The landing was a little dusty! The ride was great - loud, but great. I'm so glad I got to go!

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...

My nephew-in-law was a blackhawk pilot in the military, and now he flies rescue helicopters for the Coast Guard.