Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another Tree!

On Saturday we picked up Amos the Amur Maple tree! They told us that it was the largest Amur Maple they'd ever dug. Go big or go home!

When I went in the greenhouse to let someone know we're arrived, the main who loaded Sterling on the trailer last week raised an eyebrow at me. "I hope you brought something bigger this time!" We did - this time we borrowed a truck and trailer from my dad. Thanks Dad!
The weather was semi-cooperative. During the biggest part of Saturday's rain, we went to have lunch. The rain finally stopped and David started digging the hole.
I tried to keep busy, but am pretty useless with a shovel. Todd and Kevin came to help and made the digging look pretty easy. Our friends Dan and Leila stopped by and Dan told us that the land across Fremont from us was once a cornfield that was part of his grandfather's farm. Our yard it probably cornfield land as well. That helps to explain the surprisingly dark dirt in the front yard.
Since Amos was dug and wrapped by hand, it lacked the wire basket that Sterling came with. It made it more difficult for the guys to get off the truck and into the hole. This is the last picture that I took before I went into the garage to hide and listen for someone to shout "Call 911!" The shout never came, so I poked my head out just in time to see the tree catapult David over Todd. I couldn't get to the camera in time, but it was a Kodak moment! There was no harm to person or tree, so all's well that ends well!
We've still got some stumps and rocks to move, and a little more dirt to redistribute, but the two biggest projects of spring are finished! We rewarded ourselves with dinner at Lamberts - yum!

No comments: