Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sterling the Silver Maple

Hi - I'm Sterling the Silver Maple. Last week, I was dug from the ground at my home at Willow Gardens. I was wrapped in burlap and wire and promised a new home in Springfield. I was a little worried that my new family wouldn't be able to get to me because of the flooding on Highway 60, but they made it.
I was loaded into a trailer, and after a few alterations we were off. We took back roads home so I could ride safely in the trailer.
Before I could be planted, a dead tree had to be removed. It has faithfully tried to bloom every spring that Erin and David have lived here, but the bottom of its trunk was completely hollow. So...it was time to go.
A section of fence was removed and David carefully backed the trailer and truck back as close to my new home as he could get. Our neighbors were a big help in getting me off the trailer!
I rolled off the trailer carefully and managed not to disturb the tiny daffodils that bloomed this week!I laid very still and quiet overnight. Sunday afternoon, David headed back out to finished digging the hole for me to be planted in. Todd came over to help and asked if they had made a time capsule to bury. Erin hurried into the house to put a few things in a glass jar: a wedding program and picture, pictures of each of the animals, a Land Rover card, and a note with the date of planting.
Todd and David rolled me into my new spot. I may look skinny, but my root ball weighs around 1800 pounds. Not an easy task!


Here I am standing tall and proud with my new family! I've been fed and watered. I'll need more dirt once the dirt around me has settled and some mulch and I'll be set! I have lots of buds, so will start providing shade soon!

1 comment:

Todd said...

What kind of dance am I doing in that picture? I look ridiculous!