Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Downing Animal Refuge - Again!


Peep! Peep! Peep!

David! Do you hear that?

Hear what?

A bird!

Well, there was a bird hanging around outside the garage earlier.

I check the garage, but it is silent. David checks - nothing.

We go on about our evening, fix dinner, eat, clean up. Again, I hear Peep! I go to the garage again and look up. Peep! Hmmm...seems to be coming from the kayaks. Has a bird gotten in the kayaks? Peep! I head around the front of my car. Peep! There is poor birdy, sitting on a bucket. He looks to be a young - and very distraught - robin. Peep! I ran in to get the camera, and David came out to assist with the removal of the bird. Peep! Robin hops off the bucket and goes toward a crowded corner of the garage. Armed with leather gloves (in case I get the opportunity to catch it) and 1/2 of a kayak paddle, I try to encourage the bird toward the now open garage doors. Touching him with the paddle just makes him flap around, but somehow he began to get closer to the door. Finally - finally - he makes it to the door and hop-flies out. While I put the bird shooing supplies away, I could here him in a tree. Peep! Peep! Peep! I'm guessing he was telling his bird friends about the crazy lady with the paddle.

No comments: