Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Good-Bye Sophia


One of the stars of what might be my all-time favorite show passed away today at the age of 84. Estelle Getty played the part of Sophia Patrillo, a quick-witted Sicilian, on the Golden Girls. I remember that the Golden Girls were on Saturday nights, and we watched it while my mom rolled my hair on pink rollers for church the next morning. In high school, my friend Christy and I spent lots of time trying to determine which characters we and our friends were most like. I think I was Dorothy - dateless, but witty and sarcastic. Why a teenager identified so closely with the Florida retirees, I do not know. When I began teaching, the girls were on Lifetime in reruns at the time I got home from school. The first time I went to Orlando, one of my favorite parts of Epcot was the Backlot Tour. Do you know what is on the backlot tour? The facade of the Golden Girls' Miami home! Very exciting stuff!! I will see if I can find a picture of it to post.
Can you sing the theme song by heart? I can! Want to hear? No? Well okay then. Here it is in print:
"Thank You for Being a Friend" by Andrew Gold
Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true. You're a pal and a confidant.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you ever knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
Thank you for being a friend
Photo from www.lifetime.com.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Haha - I vaguely remember who you and Christy said I was out of the four!! LOL

Erin said...

Tee hee! Me too, but I try to only incriminate myself on the blog. ;)