Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tiny Hernia Kitty

Three years ago, my friend Stephenie and I headed out to the Humane Society to look at kittens. As is the case most summers, the Humane Society was overrun by kittens needing homes, so they were offering a 2 for 1 special. There were so many cute kittens meowing and purring, but I just remember the one who reached through her cage toward me. She was also the only one who had anything written on the section of her little yellow card labeled "Special Medical Needs." The tiny little kitten had a hernia. I took her out of her cage while Steph looked around for her kitty. I had found the one. I looked at others, but I don't think I ever put the little gray and white kitten back in her cage. Who else would take a kitten that might need surgery? What would happen to her if I didn't take her? While we were filling out the paperwork, she fell asleep on my arm and the woman working said, "I can always tell when one of our animals has found their person." On the way home with the tiny kitten, I tried to decide on a name. Sadie? Gracie? Sybil? I wasn't especially prepared to bring the kitten home, so I didn't have a carrier with me. Tiny Kitty sat quietly on my lap all the way. David and I were meeting my parents for dinner, so I hurriedly set up Kaiser's old dog crate with a litter box, water, and kitten food. Tiny Kitty went in the crate, I closed the door to my office, and met David in the driveway. I tried to keep TK a secret, but we were only a few blocks away before I told.
After getting home and introducing TK, who became Gracie, to Henrietta, I began to wonder if I'd made a mistake. Henrietta hissed and was less than welcoming. She spent all of the next day on my bed and hissed every time I came into the room - with or without Gracie. Gracie stayed in her crate during the day and slept there at night while Henrietta adjusted to having a sister. Eventually, I decided Henrietta wasn't going to hurt Gracie, so they began to have more time together.
They even at together occasionally. Henrietta has never become Gracie's best friend, but she is slightly more tolerant of her than those first few days.
Looking at tiny little hernia kitty at 1.3 pounds, it is hard to believe it's been three years! Oh, and that sweet kitty who rode quietly home from the Humane Society? She suddenly came to life and has been hell on paws ever since. She runs, plays, bites, scratches, and is in charge of the dog. Don't be fooled by her sweet kitten face.

No comments: