Sunday, July 20, 2008

Quiet Weekend

This is post#190 - very close to 200! We should be planning something special for the big milestone. Stay tuned - maybe I'll think of something. We enjoyed a nice quiet weekend. Saturday morning, we went to the swap meet. There weren't many people set up to peddle their wares on the misty gray morning, but there was still lots to see. The swap meet is really more about people watching than finding some treasure. A thought to ponder: Where does one get two large cases of toothpaste to sell at the swap meet? And who buys toothpaste at a swap meet?

Saturday evening we polished ourselves up (well, just put on clean and fairly wrinkle-free clothes) to meet my parents for dinner in Republic. When we saw that our waitress was not-so-youngish, we were relieved. Glad, even. But, as soon as she told us all about her trip to Silver Dollar City the previous day, we realized that our first impression had been wildly incorrect.

Today has been almost too hot to move. There are some weekends that we do not make it north of Battlefield Road. Today I did not make it north (or south or east or west) of our yard. It was lovely. David mowed and weed-eated and I scrubbed a little on our shed. I watered our poor thirsty plants who have become accustomed to getting lots of rain. I waited until it cooled off this evening to water - a refreshing 87 degrees. At one point I looked down to see one mosquito on my left knee and four - FOUR - on my right leg. Apparently I am a feast!

That's the news from Lake Wobegon. Have a good week.

2 comments:

Keetha said...

Hot seems to rule the day. Today in the Mississippi Delta highs are forecasted to be in the mid to upper 90s, with heat index of 110 plus. Why do weather people seem so gleeful when they tell you that?

Erin said...

Weather people are sadistic I think. Hello, new blog friend! Welcome!