Thursday, July 3, 2008

What's In a Name?

I name things. Don't know why, but I do. I used to name my toys - dolls, in particular. There was Emily, Susie, Valerie, Tamara, and Kristina (Karrington and Krytal's baby on Dynasty). Sometimes after a trip to Petsmart on a Saturday morning, David and I will debate the virtues of various names for the dogs up for adoption. We can spend quite a while on this, though we have no plans of bringing the dog home. Henrietta talked a lot at first, so she was named after the chatty cat on Mr. Roger's neighborhood who lived in the Land of Make Believe. Gracie was either going to be Gracie, Sadie, or Sybil. Perhaps Sybil would have been more fitting since Gracie seems to have a variety of personalities. Tuley Mars was from a Jimmy Buffett book, although the original character was Tully Mars.

When I was in high school, a teacher drew us a diagram of her yard and told us what each of her trees were named. We thought she was crazy, and I am still not so sure that wasn't the case. But now...we have named our trees also - Amos, Clyde, and Sterling. I may be leaning toward the eccentric, but I haven't dressed up like a groundhog for Groundhog Day. Yet. Same teacher did that one year.

All this to say...

I bought a garden gnome at Target last night. He was on clearance for a mere $2.78. He lives in the hosta garden. His name is Wilbur. As in Mr. Ed's owner.




1 comment:

Dawn said...

I haven't thought of the named trees in years!!! Hope you don't head to work smelling of cat pee either!! LOL