Sunday, May 3, 2009

Vacation

I'm tired of hearing the term "staycatation," but I guess it does describe the last week. David and I were both on vacation last week, but had decided that we wouldn't try to go anywhere far away. After returning from our camping trip, we settled in for the week. Much like any trip we've taken, our vacation at home revolved around food.

Monday we ate at Casper's. They're famous (at least in Springfield) for their chili. If you want to sit, you should get there right at 11:00 as the tiny Quonset hut doesn't seat very many. This website has a great slide show of the outside and inside of Casper's - you've got to see it.

Tuesday we joined my parents for lunch at Cheddar's. I had invited them for dinner Tuesday night and completely forgot. The meat for dinner was still in the freezer. I'm not sure where my head was! They were very gracious and didn't hold a grudge. ;)

Wednesday morning we went to Hemingway's Blue Water Cafe in Bass Pro for their breakfast buffet. It was fun to play a tourist in our own town. We ran into my uncle John who avoids coming into Springfield if at all possible. It was really a surprise to see him at Bass Pro!

Thursday we went to World Fest at Silver Dollar City. The light rain kept the crowds away, and we got to see a couple of groups that we never miss during World Fest - the Academic Band from Russia and the Invaders from Trinidad/Tobago.

Friday we ate at a new(er) sandwich place in Springfield - Which Wich. Pretty good, but I think we are still sold on Jimmy John's. :) Friday evening we tried to eat at the Pizza House on Commercial, but it was packed so we went to South Avenue Pizza instead. It was delicious! It was First Friday Art Walk again, so there were lots of people to watch.

Saturday we went to Arts Fest on Walnut. Arts Fest in 2000 marked our official beginning, so we love going back every year - rain or shine. We also enjoyed watching the Kentucky Derby at Krista's annual derby party. I left my camera in the car, so don't have any pictures of the festivities.

It was a wonderful relaxing week full of good food and plenty of naps. :) I really enjoyed having David home for a full week!

No comments: