Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef

I am one lucky traveler. David does an excellent job of planning our adventures, and I pack my clothes and get in the car. I'm spoiled, I know. I didn't do much (any) research on the places we were going. I thought, Arizona, Utah, Spring. And packed accordingly. Had I looked up Bryce Canyon on the internet, I would have learned that the elevation ranges from 8,000 to almost 10,000 feet and that the average high in April is 56. I would have learned that, but I didn't.So I was ill prepared for the 34 degree day that blessed us while visiting Bryce. I think that's why it wasn't one of my favorites. It's beautiful and breathtaking, but I was mostly just cold.
We didn't let the temps prevent us from taking a couple walks to lookouts where you can see almost forever.
After we got home, I looked at the weather forecast for Bryce to find that they were expecting 2-4 FEET of snow last Sunday. I am suddenly glad for the 34 degree DRY day!
We also visited Capital Reef National Park while passing through. It was neat because you can drive back into the canyons on gravel and rock roads. We also saw more wildlife there - mule deer, mountain bluebirds, and a marmot.
The remains of a community called Fruita are part of the park. This is the still-furnished school house.

2 comments:

Keetha said...

Ya'll are so cute. Looks like a great trip! Cold and all. :-)

Keetha Broyles said...

That arched rock and the view beyond is just amazing!