Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Back to the Island, Honey, Back to the Sea

For my birthday, David got me a great surprise - a trip to Key West!  I couldn't believe it!  Lots of people knew, but everyone managed to keep his secret.  I first opened a new carry-on bag (that I thought was a soft-sided tool bag), then a certificate he'd made for a belated birthday dinner at my favorite Key West restaurant.  I was still really confused, even after he gave me the itinerary for our trip.
 We left our house in the wee hours of the morning and arrived in Key West in time for lunch at Caroline's.
 I'm hoping this is just an optical illusion, but the GIANT plate on the right is my lunch, while the much smaller plate on the left is David's.  I ate every bite of that deliciousness!
 It was cloudy with occasional rain on our first day, and we found out that rain means no sunset celebration.
We were happy and content just to be there and explore this place we love.  We saw something we've never seen before...a mother hen with her chicks following along.  There were 9 of them, and we heard a shopkeeper say that she'd previously had 10.  They were so cute!

The rain didn't dampen our spirits as we returned to eat at some favorite places and walk Duval to do some people watching.

**Thank you, Jimmy Buffet, as always, for the loan of the title

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go David!! Looks like a lot of fun took place. Dan & Leila