A few days after beginning my adventure in sewing, I thought it would be fun to see if I could make a Raggedy Ann doll. So I bought a pattern (this one) and started with some fabric I already had - a gold and ivory gingham. I wouldn't say it was easy, but it wasn't as impossible as I thought. The directions called for her face to be embroidered, but I couldn't figure out how to do that after she was stitched together, so I painted it instead.
I was pretty proud of this first little Annie (the one on the left) with her sweet expression and red hair, and was excited to show her off to Mom and Grandmother. I decided that she might like to live at Mom's house, so I tucked her behind a basket to play a game of hide and seek. ;)
I couldn't wait even 24 hours before starting on the next projects, so Saturday I made this jack-o-lantern. He's cut from a pattern I drew and made from osnaburg. I painted and sanded him, then brushed him with Coleen's mixture for aging her "babies" - that recipe is here.
And because I liked the first Raggedy so much, I wanted to try another. This one is made from osnaburg as well, and aged with Coleen's mixture (recipe above). Her face, tights, and shoes are also painted, and she's holding a grubby security blanket made from an old floursack towel that's been aged as well.