Monday, June 3, 2013

Lime Creek Road

We took a great dirt road off the San Juan Skyway on our way to Silverton from Durango.  It was called the Lime Creek Road, but we didn't learn that until we reached the end.

Here's where we started, with beautiful views of the mountains.
 The road took us into high elevations where there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground,
 and down to Lime Creek.  With all the snow melt, the creek was flowing very fast.
 I was a little alarmed to see this "Road Narrows" sign on the already narrow road hugging the edge of the mountain.  I was very happy that we didn't see another car on the road.
 I know the views from the highway were beautiful, but I can't imagine that they could have been better than the views at every turn on this old road.
At the end of the road, we saw this sign telling the history of the road.  Very cool!  I think David really got a kick out of driving on this old road.  I'm glad we were in the truck, rather than in a wagon as many before us were.  That's an adventure I'm not sure I'm up for!

No comments: