Friday, December 12, 2008

Stick With Me and You'll Never Go Hungry

We've talked about all things cozy and homey. Enough of that. You'll find no kittens, no Christmas decorations, no warm fuzzies in this post. It's about Bacon. On January 2, 2000 (really - I remember the date), I went with a group of friends (including David) on a one-day culinary tour of Kansas City. We were to have lunch at a place called The Peanut. Some of the group had been before, but this was my first time. We arrived at the back side of a seedy looking old bar. We filed in past the stinky garbage cans and past the grungy looking kitchen. We found a large table in the tiny bar and sat down on chairs that were leaking stuffing through their torn vinyl seats. Really? We're eating here? I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into. Everyone ordered BLT's despite there being a few other things on the menu. We had come for the BLT's. The guys probably had wings, but that was before my wing-eating days. I looked around at the decor - very eclectic in a way that only 65 years in the same location can provide. Old pin up posters, bicycles, signs, you name it, it was tacked to the walls. Lunch arrived. Suddenly, the world was a better place. The ripped seats and tacky decor faded into the background as I bit into the world's best BLT.

Fast-forward almost 9 years. Yesterday, Todd, Kevin, David, and I set off for KC. Our main (and only) reason for traveling 3 hours? Lunch. Lunch and a short vacation from work. The Peanut did not disappoint. And now, I eat wings. With reckless abandoned. My fingertips and nails were orange with wing sauce for the rest of the day. The BLT was excellent as always. I would have taken a picture to share, but I skipped breakfast so that I would be really ready for lunch. It worked, a little too well. I jumped right into my sandwich and forget to take its picture. I was also going to take a picture of the VIP (ha ha) entrance to The Peanut, but I forgot that too. Next time. :)

As for the title of this post...David told me that once. And he was right! The scale I stepped on yesterday proves it.

6 comments:

David said...

What I believe to be a terrific blog idea...

"Eclectic Eateries Of The Midwest"

I’ll never get around to starting such a blog, perhaps one already exists. We could cover some fabulous, if not a little scary at first, places to strap on the feed bag.

As witnessed by my shear size and the amount of times we reference food on this blog, eating is one of my favorite pass times. I can’t say how happy I am to have found a person who shares my passion for good, and sometimes not so good, food.

Great post Erin. I never met a BLT that I didn’t like but the combination of atmosphere and decades old grease on the griddle of The Peanut make it hands down – Best BLT I’ve had the pleasure to shove down my gullet.

dd

Keetha Broyles said...

I too love food - - - and frequently post pictures of it on my blog - - - just because!

Unknown said...

You know, Erin, Uncle John said something similar to me when we got married--"Stick with me, and I'll have you fartin' through silk!" Well, I'm still here but no silk undies yet!!:) (He even checked at Walmart once and gave the clerk quite a laugh!) Isn't married life great?!!!! Love, Auntie Con

Erin said...

Con - I wish I believed you'd made that up! :)

Keetha said...

Ha! What a great story. I want to come next time!

Dawn said...

Great story! If the wings were that good, I wouldn't worry about folks looking at your strangely colored orange fingers. ha!