Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Still Some Magic Left in This Tourist Town

There are just certain things you have to do and places you have to visit in Key West.  One such place is the Southernmost Point marker.  In the middle of the day, the line to have your picture taken can be long, so we headed there first thing in the morning.  From here you are a mere 90 miles from Cuba.
 Next stop on our tour was the Key West light house.  It's 88 steps up a steep spiral staircase to the top.
 Dad and I lucked out and didn't meet anyone going up or coming down.  The view from the top is pretty good!
Here's David on the ground taking a picture of Dad and I at the top.
The grounds of the light house are really pretty, and the museum housed in the keeper's quarters is interesting.  I listened to a recording of one of the keepers which talked about her climbing the stairs 5 times each night to do the maintenance required in running a light house.  She must have had strong legs to do that!
 Next stop was the Hemingway House where we took a tour guided by Stan, who happened to be our tour guide in 2012 also.  Even though David and I have heard the tour before, we always learn something new.  I really wish they'd let me swim in the gorgeous pool!  There were some young kitties, some with 6 toes and some not.  I wonder if these cats know how good they've got it!?
After lunch, we headed to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park beach.  Our plan was to watch the sunset from the beach, but it was too cloudy for much of a sunset.  It's still a nice beach for spending an afternoon.
For dinner, we headed to Margaritaville.  I ordered theVolcano Nachos appetizer as my meal.  The server warned that it was a LOT of food, and she was right!  It was really good though, and somehow, there weren't many chips that did not have nacho-y-goodness on them.  I did my best (with some help) but only managed to see little bits of the bottom of the plate.  If you go hungry in Key West, you're doing something wrong! ;)

No comments: